Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Create and make in us new and contrite hearts...

Collect for Ash Wednesday
Almighty and everlasting God, who hatest nothing that thou hast made and dost forgive the sins of all those who are penitent: Create and make in us new and contrite hearts, that we, worthily lamenting our sins and acknowledging our wretchedness, may obtain of thee, the God of all mercy, perfect remission and forgiveness; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who liveth and reigneth with thee and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen. –Book of Divine Worship

1 comment:

Steven said...

There's a section of the ELCA liturgy that goes: "Create in me a clean heart, oh God, and renew a right spirit within me. Cast me not away from your presence and take not your holy spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation and uphold me in your free spirit." Or something very close.

I didn't know that was from Psalms until about a year ago; it turns out that that psalm is especially popular among the Orthodox.